Members of The American Society of Breast Surgeons are entitled to the following privileges and benefits.
- E-Alerts – notification of breaking news on clinical practice management, legislation, and coding issues
- E-Newsletters – provide updates on Society business and activities throughout the year
- Annals of Surgical Oncology – electronic access to the Annals and the following additional journals: Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, Gastric Cancer, Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, Surgery Today, Surgical Endoscopy and World Journal of Surgery.
Savings on Continuing Medical Education Program Registration Fees
- Annual Meeting – discounted registration fees offered to members
- Full and half-day continuing medical education courses – discounted rates offered to members, held periodically throughout the country and annually as part of the Annual Meeting (pre-meeting courses).
Exclusive Access to Members-Only Features of the Society Website
- Resource Center – browse an archive of Annual Meeting videos and other documentation in this continually growing resource hub.
- View job opportunities or post a position-wanted advertisement.
- Obtain expanded contact information for fellow members through an online directory exclusive to members only.
Mastery of Breast Surgery Program Participation
- Use the Mastery of Breast Surgery Program to document your clinical performance of breast procedures as well as your care of breast cancer patients and patients at risk for breast cancer.
- Fulfill the requirements for American Board of Surgery Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part 4 (ongoing participation in a national, regional, or local surgical outcomes database or quality assessment program)
- Join "The Forum"- A threaded message board to post your own discussion questions, suggestions and comments and read those posted by fellow members.
Saving on the Breast Education and Self-Assessment Program (BESAP)
- BESAP is a web-based CME learning tool for physicians who treat breast disease, designed by The American Society of Breast Surgeons to help surgeons obtain self-assessment credits necessary to fulfill the American Board of Surgery’s Maintenance of Certification Part 2 requirements for recertification. The program helps participating physicians ensure a mastery of critical content for the diagnosis and treatment of breast disease. Members are offered discounted registration fees.
Free-of-Charge Access to Online CME Programs
- Access the "Selected Readings in Breast Surgery" online CME program to help fulfill the requirements for American Board of Surgery Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part 2 (self-assessment).
- Question of the Week (QOTW) is a fun, quick learning experience for surgeons to earn CME and self-assessment credits to fulfill the American Board of Surgery’s MOC Part 2 requirements.
- The Society oversees more than 30 committees and working groups. Each year there are a limited number of seats available, giving members with related expertise and a desire to serve the opportunity to volunteer on various committees.
Representation Through The Society’s Advocacy Efforts
The Society ensures that the concerns of our members are heard through intersocietal relationships including representation on the following:
- American Board of Surgery Surgical Oncology Board
- The American College of Surgeons Board of Governors
- ACS General Surgery Coding and Reimbursement Committee (GSCRC)
- AMA CPT® Committee Advisors
- AMA House of Delegates
- AMA/Specialty Society Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC)
- Commission on Cancer
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
- National Quality Forum
- National Quality Registry Network
- Surgical Quality Alliance
To signify acceptance and acknowledgement as a member into the Society, each new member receives the following:
- A personalized membership certificate
- An official Society pin
- Authorization to download and use the official Society membership logos